Sunday 20 January 2013

The verdict is in: I like this better then OPI Spotted.

Yeah I definitely like the water spotted nails better.  I'm glad I didn't spend a silly amount of money on the OPI one.  If you don't know what this technique is watch the vid a linked to.  But if you don't want to here's a quick how to. 1)Fill a container with room temp water 2)Drop droplets of polish in water of colour you would like to be on top 3)Spray with hand sanitizer 4)Stick your finger in it 5)Boom done.

Now the OPI one is unique BUT it always reminds me of dirty water drying slowly.  You know when you spill something and it starts drying in random patches.  You know!

With this technique I feel like the base colour and the colour you choose to use on top of it look better together.  They look like 1.  Does that make sense?  Anyways there are not perfect(See right hand) but I will for sure try these out again.  They are much easier then water marbling!  And you can do them in any colour!

I used OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls for the base and Black Onyx for the top.  I did the accent nails with Milani Dude Blue and BK Sweet Candy Fast Dry Nail Art Polish in #19* on my left hand and China Glaze Urban-Night and Essie Pretty Edgy on my right.

Left hand
Right hand

 
* I need to add something about the BK Sweet Candy Fast Dry Nail Art Polish in #19.  In my original review I said it took between 3-4 coats to reach opacity.  Well I was wrong.  I used two coats when I did my accent nail.  I think my problem last time was I never waited long enough which caused constant dragging and bald spots.  I have failed you. *hangs head in shame*.

14 comments:

  1. It's super pretty, and a fun new trend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the look, but I do not like the clean up after water marbling :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh cleanup was horrid. But after I did this I read somewhere that you can put petroleum jelly where you don't want the polish and when you're all done wash it off. And any polish on the jelly comes off with it! Next time :P

      Delete
  3. woah thats really cool! I love that look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that there is an alternative to using OPI Black Spotted! I really dislike that polish, because it sounds sketchy. The fact that it's not available everywhere makes me think there is an ingredient in the polish that is not approved and most likely unsafe to wear!! All these girls are gung-ho about 3 free/5 free polishes yet they aren't concerned about what makes Black Spotted work the way it does? Anyways sorry for my rant, this is awesome though and I've been meaning to buy hand sanitizer spray just so I can try this!! Why did it come out lighter on your right hand though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My left hand was my practice hand. I all the fingers a few times so they looked the same. The right hand was all one shot and I also switched my water. The polish spread more in the cleaner water so it was thinner, where as in the dirtier water(or hypothetically a smaller dish) the polish didn't have as far to spread to with all the gunk on the side :P

      Delete
  5. I really need to try this. It looks like it turned out pretty awesome for you...now off to find spray hand sanitizer. O.o

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been looking forward to trying this technique, I have also been lazy to go buy some hand sanitizer... I think I am headed to the pharmacy :)
    Great manicures btw <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes i am loving this new technique. the way you wore it is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is waaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than whoring one's self to get OPI Spotted...for $.99 and some patience you get the awesomeness posted above ^5

    ReplyDelete
  9. "...water drying slowly" loool this made me laugh hard! I have OPI Spotted and I'm still learning how to deal with it. This technique appeals more to me because the color combos are huuge! Kisses**

    Cristina

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cool! I wonder if it would work with spray alocohol instead of sanitizer (because I keep that on hand anyway)? Will have to try and report back!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments as much as we like bacon! And we LOVE bacon! But if you want us to check you out please go to the contact us tab up top and feel free to send us a message. Please don't SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...